THE FALL IN LISBON

Alexandra Moura F/W 2012-2013
Dino Alves F/W 2012-2013
I thought a lot about Lisbon fashion week. Should I say something about it? Should I ignore it? But at the end of the day I just can't stay quiet. I have to say something.
Usually I'm not a huge fan of Lisbon fashion week. Well... It's more: I'm not a fan. But I hate to say that because there are wonderful designers in there showing their work. I'll try not to focus on the bad things of Lisbon fashion week. I guess what I don't like about it happens in all fashion weeks, but because this is my country, my city, my fashion week, I take it a little more personal.
Lisbon fashion week has a blog. I was reading it because they interviewed the designers with some quick questions about their collections. One of the questions was: Are you totally creatively free or do you feel a prisoner of the trends, public opinion and other factors? This was quite a revelation. Almost everyone of the designers presenting in Lisbon fashion week said that they felt prisoners of the trends and public opinion. WHAT? Something wrong is happening in here. You can't be a prisoner. You're a creative person, you have to be free. Trust your instincts and create, create and create! You don't care about anything else. Trends? Really? See this is just ridiculous. This is one of the reason I don't like Lisbon fashion week. Trends? Do trends really exists? Please... Don't get me started on that.
So, of course Alexandra Moura, who is one of my favorite Portuguese fashion designers said she always feels free, and that you must be free do create - obviously. She presented a wonderful collection. It needed some editing. You could feel that it had too many ideas coming from everywhere and it missed the feeling of whole. But it was, without a doubt, the best collection on the fashion week.  
Next favorite was Dino Alves. He had some interesting pieces. Nothing fresh, nothing new, just nice. Again, the feeling of lack of editing was present. Really liked the two dresses above. And the trousers with the big gray and yellow pockets felt very girlie and fun. The sweater had a nice pattern. He tried some other things with that pattern but I thought it didn't work out as well.
From left to right: Marques Almeida F/W 2012-2013, Maria Gambina F/W 2012-2013 and Valentim Quaresma F/W 2012-2013
Other highlights:
Marques Almeida faded neon yellow dress and coat. Very beautiful and fitted the model just like a glove. Made me realize that faded neon is as beautiful as neon itself or even more. Nothing more memorable form the show, just this look. Maria Gambina had a funny hair, kind of a mohawk. I didn't understand why because it had nothing to do with the clothes. It maybe was just an outburst of creativity. The look would look a lot better with slicked hair falling behind her. But that's just me and my humble opinion.
Finally the pieces Valentim Quaresma created were very intriguing. I would have loved to see them in a different space because they didn't fitted in that room, at all. Maybe if it was all white... I don't know. The choices of hair and make up and clothing were a little over the top. The pieces are strong enough, they don't need to be over shadowed by anything else. But they kind of did. He then created huge necklaces (I presume they were necklaces, maybe they were tops) that were very fascinating. Some of them, others were a complete disgrace. The head pieces were the best. That's all folks! 


///