WANTED: AMERICAN COUTURIERS

Karl being himself on Rodolphe Marconi's Lagerfeld Confidential

    Today I read a very interesting article on Fashionista. It was about American couturiers, more specifically about the their non existence
    Suddenly it hit me. Oh my god! There aren't any American couturiers. How is it possible? Why? So I went twenty thousand leagues under the internet to find out about American couturiers and they're work. The most recent American couturier to show at couture week was Ralph Rucci and it last happened in 2009. Ages ago. Before him we have to go sixty years into the past to reach the name Mainbocher who was famous in the 30's. So basically in all fashion history there was only two Americans who did couture. WOW.
    By the end of my journey to the depths of the internet and fashion history my questions changed. The whys and hows changed into this: Do Americans really want couture? Does couture makes sense in America?
    I think that's really interesting. Think about it. They created McDonald's and all the fast food you can imagine. They created everything fast and cheap. Does couture sound fast and cheap to you? No.
When I think about American fashion I can only think about fast fashion and sporty fashion and a lot, I mean a lot, of street wear. Not a single couture piece. Then I think of the king of American fashion, uncle Jacobs himself, and think about him doing couture. It makes no sense. I, for sure would be curious about it, and would stay in line to see it, but, I mean, it's probably, for the best, never going to happen. The same with Alexander Wang. Big American designers don't rhyme with couture.
   Other interesting point is that it takes time to make couture. And most of these designers have so many work on their hands that it's impossible to create two more couture collections per year. It takes a big house, with a big name and a big designer to handle so much work. Not all designers can be Karl Lagerfeld. That's why Riccardo Tisci decided to stop presenting couture collections. Too much work, too little time.
    But I see, or would like to see things changing. There are American designers who I think have what it takes to create couture. In this day and age where couture is really changing from what it used to be, the options are endless. I for sure would love to see what Proenza Schouler would do.



///

2 comentários:

  1. Interesting post! I think that what Oscar de la Renta does is comparable to haute couture, even if he can't use the label legally. With designers like Iris Van Herpen and Rad Hourani in the mix, the idea that couture = huge ball gowns no longer applies. Raf Simons is also one to change couture's stuffy image.

    ResponderEliminar