THE COINCIDENCES OF EMMANUELLE ALT

Emmanuelle Alt by Greg Kessler for 10 Magazine

I think being the successor of Carine Roitfeld isn't easy. When I heard Carine was leaving Paris Vogue I was panicking about the future of the magazine. What would it be of Paris Vogue without Carine? I already knew Emmanuelle Alt and her work before she was announced as the new editor in chief of Paris Vogue but I always expected Condé Nast to hire some one new. But they didn't. They gave the job to Alt and after a couple issues I was relieved that Paris Vogue was still alive. A little different, a little softer, a little hippier, but alive.
It's been almost a year since Emmanuelle took over the throne and almost ten issues were made with her name as editor and chief. In that year I've seen Alt style and taste come together to create stunning pictures. In that year I've noticed that Alt likes cowgirls! Yes! She really does like cowgirls. 
Isabeli Fontana by David Sims for Paris Vogue April 2011
Catherine McNeil by Claudia Knoepfel and Stefan Indlekofer for Paris Vogue February 2012
As you can see in less than a year Alt made sure that there was at least two inspired cowgirl editorials in the magazine. Both amazing, both stunning, but both very similar! When I noticed this similarities I realized that there was more of them trough all the issues. I think this similarities shouldn't happen, at least in the same year. 
I've found out that Emmanuelle really likes rockers. Rock and roll inspired shoots is the most easy thing to find in Paris Vogue. Sometimes are the names of the editorials, sometimes are the pictures itself that expose that love of her for rock and roll. In this latest issue (February 2012) we can see that her love for rock and roll goes to Las Vegas and has Elvis Presley in the pictures with Daria. 
From left to right: Joan Smalls by Hans Feurer for Paris Vogue; Anja Rubik by Hans Feurer for Paris Vogue, Sasha Pivovarova for Paris Vogue; Karlie Kloss by Hans Feurer for Paris Vogue.

As I looked into this coincidences I found out more and more of them! I don't understand how could I have not seen this before. When I saw this latest editorial with Karlie Kloss it all came together in my head and I said to myself "I've seen this before". I was wrong, I hadn't see it before. I had seen something very similar before, and before, and before. As you can see above, Paris Vogue works a lot with Hans Feurer and I have to praise some of the results because they are stunning but at the end of the day, more precisely, at the end of the year we got four different issues in ten that are very similar. Is it okay? Am I being a bitch about it? I don't think so. I have very high standards for Paris Vogue, more than any other magazine in fact, and it is not okay to do four similar editorials in ten. It is not okay to do two cowgirl inspired editorials in less than a year. 
If you look bellow you'll see something I was very intrigued by. When I saw the cover of November 2011 I immediately thought "Oh, I've seen this before". And This time I've had. That cover was clearly the left overs of the last month editorial! How could this be? Paris Vogue is giving me something from last month. 
Left: Arizona Muse by Inez and Vinoodh for Paris Vogue November 2011; Right: Arizona Muse by Inez and Vinoodh for Paris Vogue October 2011
As I said before, I really have high standards about Paris Vogue. And I think Emmanuelle Alt has done an amazing job with the magazine. I love the editor letter. I love that vintage feeling she brought to the magazine, although I'm not sure that will work forever. I still am in love in the Fatale editorial from October 2011 with Sasha and Anja by Mert and Marcus and that June/July cover story with Isabeli Fontana is just something from the other world.
But this is not okay. This "coincidences" are not okay. In less than a year I've spotted not just one but four similar stories. Like I said, I expect more from Paris Vogue and Emmanuelle Alt. I need more stunning editorials that don't have coincidences or similarities between them! There's so many good ideas to create a story, why am I seeing a cowgirl twice? Why am I seeing Arizona Muse smile month after month? I guess I'll never have an answer but I had to put it out. This was killing me inside. I've said it, I expect more.


///