SLIMANE vs SIMONS

Raf Simons at Christian Dior show S/S 2013
Both Hedi Slimane and Raf Simons presentations were the most talk about of the season. Everybody wanted to see what Hedi would do at Saint Laurent and everybody wanted to see what Raf would do at Dior. And here it is. The collections are finally out and we can discuss who was greater. Yes, because one was greater than another.
Let's talk about Raf at Dior first. He was first to show his Couture collection and it was amazing. Everything Dior couture should be. And at the same time it felt very modern, very contemporary, very wearable. No words to describe. There's only few adjectives in this world... A few weeks after the show, everyone was wearing it. Which is great and what Dior needed (did you see Julianne Moore in that yellow dress?! FAB!). Then he showed his ready-to-wear collection and it was again pretty amazing. I'm a Raf Simons fan. I always thought he would be a great choice at Dior and when he was appointed as creative director I couldn't be more happy and excited to see what he would do. I was in fashion heaven. After his ready-to-wear and couture show I can say DAMN! That's how you do it. Raf slayed it. Everyone was there! Everyone wanted to see Raf's new collection and everyone loved it. Again, there's no words for his work. He out did himself. The level of anticipation and expectation was so high but Raf made it more amazing than we all could imagine.
Hedi Slimane at Saint Laurent show S/S 2013
Now let's talk about Hedi Slimane and Saint Laurent. Lots of things have been said about his changes on the house and like Raf I was very excited to see what he would do. But it was a different kind of excitement. I knew Raf couldn't do wrong but I was very curious about Slimane. Mainly because he never designed womenswear commercially! So... What I thought about the collection: HATS! I live for hats. But I have to be honest, It felt a bit dated. All the collection. I was expecting something much sharper. Much more contemporary. But it was all heavy and wintery. There was nothing I could say DAMN GURL that looks nice. Not the shoes, not the clothes. It was so 2007! The hats were cool, but didn't fell fresh, spring or even new. It was Dior Homme two seasons ago. And that's that!


///